Anyone experiencing a Consumer Cellular HTTPS failure?
My wife & I have the same "LG Phoenix 2" (LG-K371) Android GSM phones running version 7.0/3.10.49/NRD90U/K37120k. These are AT&T "Go" phones made to run specifically on the ATT network, and our provider is Consumer Cellular, which uses the ATT network. Our phones worked perfectly till about noon on 9/26/17, after which both phones failed to deliver HTTPS content over the mobile network (Firefox reports "Secure Connection Failed" and Chrome delivers ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE). Non-secure (HTTP) content continued working over mobile. Both HTTPS and HTTP work fine over WiFi, and neither phone applied any updates at the time of the failure, so this is not a phone or browser issue, but some sort of mobile network HTTPS proxy server issue with Consumer Cellular. We are in the Minneapolis area. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Dear Megan: We have resolved this issue. I hope you will find our story below useful so that Consumer Cellular can more effectively help other people with similar problems.
By Friday October 6 I had already decided to change over to AT&T because of Consumer Cellular’s inability to help us with this problem. I was at work and went to a nearby AT&T city store to ask about which AT&T suburban store would have the best technical staff on the next day (Saturday) to perform the change. I just happened to talk to an AT&T rep who suggested that I manually reset my network settings. The procedure for doing this on Android Nougat (7.0) is:
- Backup & Reset
- Network settings reset
- (then follow the prompts to confirm you want to do this)
The “Network settings reset” is much less dangerous and involves much less risk and recovery than a factory reset, so I tried it. After doing this reset, all but one of the five or six APNs that had formerly been on my phone were gone, including the two from Consumer Cellular. This was no great loss, since the one set I was using wasn’t working and I wasn’t using any of the others. As expected, this wiped out all my data capability, not just the HTTPS capability.
I then went back to my desk and looked up the Consumer Cellular APN settings online. I randomly chose the ones provided at a site called “apn-settings.com”, which are as follows (omitted settings here were left empty):
- Name: Consumer Cellular
- APN: ccdata
- MMSC: - MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net- MMS port: 80- MCC: 310- MNC: 410- APN type: default,mms- APN protocol: IPv4 (I left this default unchanged)- APN roaming protocol: IPv4 (I left this default unchanged)I then saved these APN settings and selected the button representing these settings in the “APN Names” list. Suddenly all my data started working. This surprised me because these settings are very similar to settings that my previous Consumer Cellular rep had had me enter previously. But apparently without first doing the “Network settings reset” those similar settings that he had given me didn’t work.STEP 3I then restarted my phone to make sure it would still work after a restart. Much to my relief, it did. I did not realize that after the restart, my APN settings had been modified silently and automatically and yet were still working.STEP 4That night I went home with the idea of resetting my wife’s phone in the same way that I had reset mine, because her identical phone had developed the same problem at the same time that mine had. But I decided to first try a less extreme method and simply copy my settings into her existing Consumer Cellular APN settings. So I put both phones together and opened my settings so I could copy them. I was surprised to see that something had automatically changed my settings from the ones I had entered in STEP 2 above. The new settings on my phone were (again omitting empty ones):- Name: Consumer Cellular- APN: ccdata- MMSC: