Error formatting /data! Error formatting /cache!
Using CWM 126.96.36.199, when I try to format /data, I get:
Error formatting /data!
When I try to format /cache, I get:
Error formatting /cache!
This all started because I decided to try Albinoman's AOSP 4.2 ROM. This is what happened:
1. Booted into CWM 188.8.131.52, made a nandroid backup of stock GB ROM.
2. Installed Albinoman's ROM using CWM, wiped /cache and /data.
3. Booted Albinoman's ROM, no problems. Decided I wanted to backup and restore some apps in the old ROM using Titanium Backup.
4. Restored nandroid backup of stock ROM. When it rebooted, all was well.
5. Used Titanium Backup to back up my apps.
6. Installed Albinoman's ROM again.
7. Cleared /data, it was fine. Cleared /cache. Stuck at "formatting" for half an hour.
8. Rebooted back to recovery and tried it again. Couldn't find E:.
9. Tried letting it boot. Stuck on the boot animation for 30-minutes.
10. Wipe everything and re-flash. Tried again. Still stuck on boot animation.
11. Manually unmount and tried to format /data and /cache, and I get the error messages.
I had installed Convert2Ext4_no_data_limit_normal_dalvik.zip to the stock ROM about 4-months ago, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
When I search, it looks like the news is bad... most people that had this error gave up and believed it to be hardware NAND failure. Anything I can do to confirm or rule out NAND failure?
UPDATE: Managed to flash RUU, but results were interesting. It worked and it boots, home screen is blank (no HTC widgets), and apps I'd installed are still there. Clear Storage and Factory Reset does not get rid of them! I can manually uninstall apps, but when I reboot, they come back. I guess the /data must be stuck in some kind of read-only state.