"Rest finger to open" inconsistent
Brand new iPhone 8. Set up as a new iPhone. A few days after using it, "Rest finger to open" for unlocking the phone no longer works as expected. If I wake up my phone (either by raising it or pressing the side button), and then rest my finger on the home button, it doesn't unlock about 75% of the time.
- If I rest my finger, lift it, and then rest again, it usually does work.
- If I rest and then press, it works, despite the "lock" icon at the top never indicating it was successfully authenticated. Of course, "pressing" shouldn't be required if "rest" is activated.
- If I wake my device, and then quickly rest and lift my finger, it works more frequently. Odd that leaving my finger on there longer would work less consistently.
Things I've tried:
- Restarted my phone.
- Disabled and re-enabled "rest finger to open"
- Disabled and re-enabled "Use TouchID to unlock phone"
- Deleted the finger in TouchID, added other fingers.
- Ensured I'm on 11.0.3
I was unable to recreate this on my girlfriend's iPhone 8, so I know not every iPhone is affected. However, people seem to also have this problem. I'm curious how widespread it is, or if anyone has found a solution.
Read responses in forums.macrumors.com