Considering switch from Pixel to iPhone X
New to the forum. Seems like a wealth of knowledge here, and hoping I can ask a few questions to those of you who've made the switch, or are familiar with both ecosystems.
I'm on a family plan with my wife, and service with current provider is a bit lacking. All carriers seems to have BOGO offer for iPhone, and to save ~$40 per month, it might make sense for both of us to get the same device. She really, really wants an iPhone (all her friends have one... FaceTime... iMessage... etc).
I'm very happy with Android, and *especially* the Pixel. However, I will consider a switch. It's just a phone, is what I keep telling myself.
There are a few things that I have grown to really, really appreciate on my Pixel, and hoping someone who is familiar with iOS can confirm if the same or something similar exists to help with the transition:
- Camera fast launch: Quick double-press of the power button on the Pixel launches the camera. There was a similar feature on my HTC before the Pixel, too. This is super helpful. Does iPhone have something like this?
- "OK Google": With the screen off, and the phone out of reach, this voice command with launch Google Assistant. Does Siri offer this functionality? I think I can load Google Assistant on the iPhone, not sure if it works the same..?
- Home Screen: I have a Google search bar, today's date (which if you tap, it will open the calendar), and weather. I don't need to pull down a notification bar or anything. Not a HUGE deal, just a very convenient feature. Does iOS have anything like this?
- Google Now: When I swipe left, I get a feed of news and updates that is specific to my interests and activities. I'm not sure if this is part of Google Assistant. Can I load this onto an iPhone, or is there an equivalent?
- Smart Search: If I copy text (address, phone number, etc), Google will know what it is and offer an action that corresponds. e.g. offer to open Google Maps if an address, or dial if it's a phone number, etc.
Those are the main ones. Sorry if lengthy. Really appreciate the help to those willing to lend an ear.
Read responses in forums.macrumors.com