Flash a rom with Odin/Heimdall
Hey, as for request for some users, here's a guide for how to flash with odin/heimdall. Heimdall instructions will be at the second post.
1. Glossary/Q&A (newbie)
1. So what's odin?
Odin is a windows program, a proprietary software from samsung to flash numerous partitions. (/system, /cache, kernel etc) It is generally only used when in download mode.
2. Download Mode: Mode where the partitions are flashed, it have the same role as fastboot.
3. If we have odin, then why we do need heimdall?
Heimdall is a cross-platform open source program that use the same type of communication that odin use to communicate with samsung devices. It uses libusb to do these communications.
2.1 Odin Prerequistes
When you need to flash using either odin or heimdall, you need the samsung drivers. You can use either kies or the USB drivers. (I prefer the USB drivers because Kies is...)
Samsung USB Drivers
- Pit file (Only need for when you need re-partition ONLY!!!)
2.2 Flashing With Odin
Ok so when you have finish with the drivers installation, you can go to the odin3. (Sorry If I don't have any screenshots, as I'm on linux and don't have any VM ) An odin flashable file is supposed to be in .tar or .tar.md5 format only.
1. Extract the odin file from the zip (DON'T BOTHER THE 2 PIT FILES INSIDE)
2. Open odin3
3. Put your device in download mode. To do so, press vol- while pressing the power button. You should have a triangle with an android janitor while it's saying downloading... I'll put a picture of it below.
4. You should see a yellow rectangle with COM:xx and saying ready. It means that your device is ready to be flashed!
5. Go into the PDA section and take your .tar file.
6. When you're done with this, ensure that the file you have is for your device.
7. If a .pit file was selected when trying to flash, ensure that re-partition at the left is UNCHECKED!!
8. Press the flash button
9. When it's finished, it should say that it's done with a green box and your device should reboot by itself
Read responses in forum.xda-developers.com