Nexus 7 v2 vs. First Gen iPad
My 1G iPad is getting pretty close to replacement time so I thought I'd check out the new Nexus 7. Here are my findings:
What I still like about my iPad:
- Intuitive to use.
- Cohesiveness of interface.
- Big iTunes library.
- Lots of app support.
- Tons of battery life.
What I don't like about my iPad:
- Very slow for today's apps and iOS.
- No retina display.
- Speaker quite quiet and mono.
What I liked about the Nexus 7:
- Easy to hold in 1 hand, non-slip rubber backing.
- Sharp display resolution
- Stereo speakers
What I didn't like about the Nexus 7:
- My interface complaints from Android 1.5 are still present in 4.3. There are options scattered everywhere and none of the interface elements carry from one app to the next.
- Heavy (for its size, surprisingly so).
- Battery life - Drained on standby in 1 day.
- Missing software polish, feels half baked in the apps I used for podcast consumption, etc.
- Speakers soft while set to max volume.
- Not intuitive: Wife couldn't get used to it, still had to buy her a new iPad.
So that's my $0.02. Looks like I'm returning the Nexus 7 and waiting for the iPad 5.
Read responses in forums.macrumors.com