How to root 2015 Philips Android TV
PROCEED WITH CARE
THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WAY TO RECOVER IF SOMETHING GO WRONG!!!DO NOT EDIT *.db FILES MANUALLY OR YOU MAY LOOSE ACCESS TO YOUR ANDROID TV!!!
Good news!!!Now we can get full root access to our ADB enabled 2015 Philips Android TV's
FULL STEP BY STEP GUIDE:
CREATE AND SWITCH USER 10
1. Install Terminal Emulator app from Google Play using computer or other device.
2. Execute in Terminal Emulator following command: am start --user 0 com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings
3. Enable "Developer options" and enable "USB debugging" in the popped-up window.
4. Install Android Debug Bridge utility (ADB) on the PC preferably at root folder C:\ADB for easy use.
5. Run the ADB utility on PC. PC must be on the same network as TV.
6. Execute following command: adb start-server
7. Execute another command: adb connect 10.0.1.2 (IP of your TV)
8. Execute shell command upon successful connection: adb shell
9. Create new user under shell by performing following command: pm create-user FREE (any name)
10. Note or remember what number was assigned with newly created user. Should be user 10.
11. Switch to the new user profile executing shell command: am switch-user 10 (the number assigned to the profile above)
GET ROOT PRIVILEGES UNDER USER 10
12. Execute shell command to enter security settings of newly create user 10:
am start --user 10 com.android.settings/.SecuritySettings
13. Enable installation from unknown sources using slider in the menu.
14. Install rooting app KingRoot v4.8.0 (update to v4.8.1 later within app) under "User 10" and apply root. Navigate through app from PC via QuickSupport TeamViewer application because remote control does not work in it.
15. Exit KingRoot app and execute it again. This time KingRoot will deploy as system application.
16. Install app Root Explorer v3.3.8. Use its re-mounting function by pressing R/W button to gain full read/write access to all files.
17. Edit following XML file: /data/system/users/0/package-restrictions.xml using built in "Text Editor" under Root Explorer.
18. Remove lines related to Root Explorer installed under point 16. that is starting with "<pkg name="com..../> and save file.
GET ROOT PRIVILEGES UNDER USER 0
19. Switch from "User 10" to "User 0" executing ADB command: am switch-user 0 . If you've at this point lost access and can not perform switch via ADB install app adbWireless v1.5.4 from USB stick, allow root access and re-enable ADB. It also works via Ethernet cable.
20. Restart the TV by unplugging / re-plugging power cord.
21. Re-run KingRoot under "User 0" so it can deploy as system app. If you do not see the KingRoot app listed anywhere press gear button on remote and go to Setup/General Settings/Android settings/Device/Apps/System apps and open it from there. Afterwards the KingRoot app will be listed among other sideloaded apps.
ENABLE INSTALLATION FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES UNDER USER 0
22. Install app Settings Database Editor v2016.01.26 and edit value "install_non_market_apps" under secure tab from "0" to "1".
23. Edit 0.xml located in /data/system/users/ under line <restrictions no_install_unknown_sources="true"> and change value to "false" using text editor within Root Explorer.
24. Disable all Google Play apps under Auto-start tab in KingRoot app.
25. Restart the TV by unplugging / re-plugging power cord.
26. Enjoy the root and install any APK under "User 0" you like. . Installation of apps via ADB will also work from this point.
27. Attention: If you open one of Google Play apps than installation of apps from unknown sources will be disabled so go back and start from point 23...
Find attached below all needed APK's that worked for me.
Fully tested and working on following 2015 Philips Android TV's:
1. 49PUS7150/12 - QV151E - Version: 000.005.038.028, Date published: 2015-12-16
Let us know if you are successful
Does not work on following 2015 Philips Android TV's due to lack of ADB connectivity:
1. 5500 series
3. 48PUS7100/78 - error message: device '(null)' not found
Let us know if you are stuck due to ADB connectivity
7100p, Tomzzz4pda - Thanks for great contribution to make this guide reality !!!
Read responses in forum.xda-developers.com